Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I'm not okay, I swear it.

 Disclaimer: The title "I'm not okay, I swear it", is to explain that unlike a lot of women that can make the step of returning to work after four to six weeks, I cannot. It does not mean I'm going to harm myself. It does not mean that I'm not going to continue to heal through all of this. Please understand that, sweet readers. I'm "okay" in Christ, but "Ashley" is struggling...and I'm making the steps to continue allowing Him to be my healer. This is a glimpse into the dark side of grieving, but I am not letting it consume me. I am not letting it win. Thank you. - Ash

When I was thirteen, I began cutting myself.

I'd use razors usually, though I'd also scratch until my arms were sore.

My acts were partly peer led, and partly self-soothing. If you aren't a former cutter, you can't understand the euphoric peace that floods across your body the minute you drag the blade against your skin. I would often run my fingers across my scabs and torn skin, loving that my pain could be manifested into a physical representation. Somehow, in a ceremonial way, I felt that I was releasing all of the negativity that weighed me down.

This wasn't true, of course. I was using avoidance through self-harm. Instead of facing the disgustingly ugly truth of my emotional pain, I preferred to distract with physical pain instead. Instead of processing through why I hated myself and dealing with my raging emotions, I stuffed them inside with cuts to my arms.

After I found God, I completely stopped cutting. He took those emotions I'd been feeling, and He channeled them to the foot of the cross. I can safely say that managing my emotions has been a beautiful work in progress since my Jesus accepted me into His family. Until I could experience that dance of healing, the change wouldn't take place. I was simply lost in my own bloodletting.

**

There is a certain culture I've witnessed in the Christian grief community. Noticeably, a Christian mourner is less likely to go off of a deep end than someone who has nothing to hope in. This is understandable. In ways, it's beautiful. Yet in other ways...it puts this insane pressure on the Christian mourner. Also, simply knowing who Our Father is, we are expected to be strong because our strength is in Him. To show any less is a disgrace to His healing power. One can't be a witness to His power if we appear powerless, can we?
For me personally, at times I've questioned the "Christianess" of me. I was watching A Duggar Loss, which showed The Duggar Family discovering their 17 week old baby's heartbeat had stopped. As soon as the ultrasound tech confirmed that she didn't see a heartbeat, Jim Bob and Michele immediately quoted "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." I was shocked. Honestly, it confused me. Though after this was spoken, significant tears began to fall...it still baffled me; the automatic, almost robotic response. I don't begrudge the Duggars of this. I think they are living, walking examples of unshakeable faith in God. But I could not do that immediately. Ever.

Here is where my problem lies. Though my faith is unshakeable, my flesh isn't. While so many people have responded after grief with joy as an automatic response...that's something I simply struggle to do fifty percent of the time. Though I know my Carlie Wren is in heaven, and had a better Tuesday than I'll ever have this side of heaven...I struggle back and forth between being devastated and joyous about this. I've read perspectives from Christian bloggers who speak of returning to work in four weeks. I so long to be like that. I long to get past all of this, so I can move forward and not feel like the slightest push toward taking a step sends me into an anxiety attack. Does the fact that I'm struggling more than "most" Christian women mean that there is something inherently, spiritually wrong with me? I'm too weak, where other women have been so very strong, right?

Is the picture of me, completely, a picture of God and His strength? Or can I simply not shake these things aside because I'm simply not strong enough in my faith? I don't know the answer, but I can't help but envy these women who move forward quickly; who can compartmentalize grief and daily life and somehow come out more content than they were.



So, this is what I do know. 

The following is my own raw, beautiful wreckage that Carlie Wren left behind.

My name is Ashley Calvert. I have been off of work since July 10th, when I was admitted into the hospital due to incompetent cervix. What I thought was a routine check up turned into one of the scariest moments of my life: knowing I was dilated; knowing it was too soon for her to survive. We prayed til we couldn't form words anymore, and I fought against infection and bleeding.

Fourteen days later, I laid my baby girl to rest. I couldn't leave her graveside, and a huge, bloody hole has been punched in my chest since July 21, 2012 when she was born into heaven. I am a mother, but my arms are empty.

I tried to go back to work on August 6th, but the Wednesday before, I had my first post-partum appoitment with my doctor. She strongly suggested I take more time. When I had three more break downs that day, I realized she was right.

I tried to go back to work a second time on July 27th. I lasted about two and a half hours before my husband had to come get me. Everything in the office was a trigger. From the people I'd previously talked to about my pregnancy, to seeing tiny, pen-scratched numbers on Wednesdays of each week on my desk calendar, marking how many weeks I was along. I angrily whited out the numbers, and when I came to November 28th, with DUE DATE written in huge letters and circled, I lost it.

I've developed anxiety attacks about returning to work. I had my first counseling session today.
I'm taking anti-anxiety medication to help with the bouts of anxiety. I've been on them since I was in the hospital. I've had thoughts on four occasions of overdosing on pills, though I am always able to rationalize my thoughts out of that valley. Before all of this, I was a very care-free individual. Even in my darkest days before I got saved, I'd never had suicidal thoughts.

 I haven't had a normal sleeping schedule since before I entered the hospital. Even now as I type, it's nearly 2:30 a.m. I've been on sleeping pills since the hospital, too. Some nights they work. Some nights they don't.

I worship to my very core these days. This experience has made heaven a tangible place for me, not something merely pushed to the back of my head. During times of worship, I almost feel I can reach out and grasp it with my bare hands. I long for my heavenly home as I long for breathing.Worship has become one of my favorite things to do.
I read my Bible with passionate longing.
I have floating ideas in my head of ways I want to help women who are/were in my shoes. If I don't do some of these soon, I might explode.
I dream a million, trillion times bigger than before. I lack the blind naivety I had at one time that "everything will work out." My eyes are wide open instead. I prefer it this way.
I love my husband harder.
I love my husband for who he is, not for what he does or doesn't do. It's amazing what you learn about a person in the midst of a horrible crisis.
I know the next child we have will be the luckiest child within a 200 mile radius, because we are going to be good parents. We are going to love that child like our lives depend on it. After a day of work when we're too tired, we will still get up and play outside. We will remember absence, and we will remember being full. We will be such a beautifully wonderful family.

Until then, I'm left trying to build a masterpiece out of the wreckage.

 Through my brokeness, might you rise me up again, Lord? Might I achieve the joy that surpasses all understanding once again? Can you make a beautiful story out of the mess that is me? I fear I fail you with my weakness. 

  So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak [in human strength], then am I [truly] strong (able, powerful in divine strength).

- 2 Corinthians 12:10, Amplified

17 comments:

  1. Ashley I don't know how to help you. My heart and soul aches for you. I would gladly do anything and everything asked of me to just take your pain. I have never felt so bad about anything in my life. I just want that care free hippy chick to be free of all the hurt and be able to move on,not forget but just fast forward so that emptiness can subside and the pain just leave. I love you so much I don't think I could love you any more if I had carried you in my own body. Please don't hurt yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never hurt myself again. That's long behind me. I'm sorry. I didn't write this post to worry everyone! I wrote it to give a raw, honest representation of what grief looks like for me. Hopefully it can help someone understand or even someone may come upon this that is going through something similar, and it will help them. I love you sis! <3

      Delete
  2. Ashley, there is a time and a season for everything, including mourning and healing. It may take months before you feel more at peace, and that is okay. It doesn't make you less of a Christian to mourn, it shows you're human. The Lord gave you feelings and emotions, He didn't make you a robot. We're all different and we were all made to deal with situations differently. Do not feel guilty for even one moment... you're a child of the Lord and He will get your through this, but for now, He's allowing you to mourn. You'll recover in His perfect time. I believe the Lord gave us different ways to cope, and there is nothing wrong with needing medicinal help. It won't last forever. You will overcome. But for now, it's okay. Take your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post scared me until I saw your comment to Dawna. So glad you included that comment. Not many people have the responsibility of carrying as much weight as you're carrying right now. Most people couldn't deal with it. The fact that you're turning this into a ministry shows that the LORD is already creating beauty from ashes.

    Everyone deals with grief differently and there's nothing wrong with the fact that you're not ready to return to work. For some, work may be exactly what that person needs and that doesn't erase the fact that they're grieving - they just are dealing with their grief through work or in spite of work. I think you are working through your grief in writing. I can't wait to see the poem you create this month. I know it will be beautiful. Renee was just telling me in an email what an amazing writer you are. Sometimes the best writing comes from the deepest pain imaginable. You will write in such a way that no one else can; you will touch others because your grief is real, not candy-coated. Christians have plenty of sources for candy-coated encouragement; what they DON'T have is something like this, a safe haven for dark moments.

    I love the Duggar family and they are such an inspiration to me, but I agree with you - I don't think I could ever handle a loss like that, with an immediate quoting of Scripture. I dealt with similar things after the tornado, as we've discussed - so many people were talking about what a miracle it was that we survived that I felt like I was forced to skip a step of grieving/processing. I ended up getting counseling one time from a counselor at Union and it made a huge difference, so I'm happy you're able to get counseling as wel!

    I know you probably don't want to leave Wesley, but I just wanted to let you know that if you ever want to come stay for a couple of days during the work week when Wesley is gone and you need a distraction, you are more than welcome. We can have a mini writing retreat at my house and work on projects together.

    I love you and I am praying for you with fervor this morning especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, try not to beat yourself up about the length of your grief. I was doing the same thing a few months ago. I would compare myself to others, long to be happy again, and mostly I was just so, so tired of being sad all the time. Like you, I did not want to hurt myself or commit suicide, but sometimes I just wished for Christ's second coming so that I could just be with my son again.

    It doesn't work to try and rush through your grieving….believe me, I've tried. It took me a long time to even be able to function beyond showering, getting dressed, and eating. Grieving is EXHAUSTING. Lots of people told me at various points, "It gets easier." I didn't believe them at the time. But gradually….the days were less hard on me. I still miss my Daniel terribly, I still cry often, I still long for him to be here, but I can look back to 3.5 months ago and see the progress I have made. You will, too - in your own time.

    I had to find my own "tool box" of grieving and coping skills. It sounds like you are doing that, too. Not sure if you are interested, but there is an online chat that I go to with The Compassionate Friends: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/Find_Support/Online-Community/session_schedule_and_entrance.aspx
    Maybe I will see you there sometime. Keep letting those tears come…..praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and reading my insanely long post :) Your words really affirmed that what I'm going through is normal. You give me hope for an easier future. I will definitely check out that online chatroom!

      Delete
  5. Ashley,
    This is the first time I've stumbled across your blog, and your words gave me goosebumps. I think sometimes only a mother who has experienced a similar loss can relate. My heart goes out to you precious sister. It DOES get better with time.... slowly, slowly.

    I also tried going back to work at about 6 weeks postpartum, and couldn't. Give yourself the time that you need. I also remember those once beautiful little number carefully counted out in the corner of my planner.... and remember painfully going though and erasing them. I'm so, so sorry.

    Praying for you right now.
    Glad you found my blog, and I hope it continues to bring you encouragement.

    -Jennifer
    http://www.jessandjennanderson.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Thank you so much for stopping by. Your blogs have been an inspiration to me. Thank you for empathizing with me. You are in my prayers as well.

      Delete
  6. Ashley,
    Please know that your grief is your own. No one can tell you how to do it. It's been one month and two days since we lost our baby girl, and yesterday was the first day I didn't cry. I know there are many, many more tears in my heart, but it still made me feel like a bad mommy to be feeling better and getting back to normal, especially since everyone around me keeps telling me how brave I am to even go out of the house. The leader of one of my support groups says it takes 6 months to a year or more to really create your new normal after the type of losses we've had. Consider this: many women's maternity leave is 2-3 months. You have the physical healing process plus the emotional process to deal with.

    www.20weeksofrest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind, encouraging words. They were definitely a salve to my wounds.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ashley, I found your blog from your friend Dustan (sp). This is a powerful post you have here. Please don't feel like you have to compare your grief with anyone else's. Those people you spoke of that can return to work so quickly, what they're not telling you is that they spend a good portion of their day in the restroom, hiding at their desk, or even in their car, getting themselves together after a breakdown. Even the strongest in faith has to be moved by the loss of a child. Your loss is still so so new, if you will, you are still in the Honeymoon stage of your loss. Of course it's nothing like after your wedding. You are going through the gambit of emotions or the lack of too. You're likely to go back and forth for months and that is ok!!

    It's important to take your time, feel everything your heart wants you to feel. Rushing through grief will only give you a false sense of security and it will all come rushing back, I promise. Do what's right for you. In a couple of months, you are gonna have another difficult time to overcome and I suggest planning ahead to do something special with family/friends. I also recommend buying you something to commemorate what a special day it was supposed to be. Through the years, not everyone will remember her due date but you will and you can have something special to remind everyone with.

    I know all these words are ramblings right now. You've been in the community for a little while now and you know there are lots and lots of people that will reach out to you. You'll find what works best for you. I am so sorry for the loss of your Carlie Wren. God bless!!

    http://restinhopepsalm16.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      Thank you so much for stopping by and for reading this post. Thank you also for your encouraging words. I definitely need to plan something for November 28th, including buying something to commemorate the day. That's a lovely idea.

      Delete
  8. Ashley,

    I, too, found your blog from Dustan on Facebook. My wife and I know exactly where you are, having lost our three-month-old daughter, Mia, to SIDS on March 19th of this year. She recently had to leave her job because they weren't willing to give her a day off to relieve some of the stress and keep her counseling appointments (she was at work when the call came in that something was wrong with Mia). I'm sharing this post with her in the hopes that she realizes what she's feeling is completely normal, and that you can't put a time limit on how you grieve. I'm sharing our Facebook page for Mia's foundation and the blog post I wrote about that day with you. I hope and pray that you find some peace and comfort in the strength that I find in Him through this trial. Without it, I can't get out of bed in the morning.
    Blessings of strength, peace and mercy to you...

    http://holyghostbumps.com/2012/03/27/our-butterfly-flew-home/
    https://www.facebook.com/TheBabyButterflyFoundation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have liked your page on Facebook. What a beautiful way to celebrate your Mia's life on earth. I want to create some sort of foundation for Carlie Wren as well.

      I hope that this post was an encouragement to your wife. I can't imagine the pain you both are going through.
      Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet words.

      Delete