Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The New Normal.

My first painting for Carlie. She's wrapped in her quilt as her spirit soars to Heaven, my little free bird :)


I had my first post partum appointment today.

At the receptionist's desk, the woman said we'd need to speak to the patient representative before I went in to my appointment. I knew that was probably coming, and it wasn't a surprise. We sat down, waiting for my name to be called so we could talk to the lady about how our payment plan would be adjusted due to the recent events.

I tried to keep my eyes to the ground, seeing the swell of several pregnant bellies seated around me.

My name was called, and the patient representative looked right at me and asked...

"Have you already had your baby?"

I froze. I looked over at Wesley for a moment, the question knocking the wind out of me as I stood at a stand-still.

"She...she was stillborn," I whispered with a shaky voice, feeling my face burn with the sudden onset of raw anger and grief.

 I've always hated reducing Carlie Wren to that ugly word. She was very much alive inside of me. She liked Michael Jackson and was a night owl. She had a strong personality, even if we weren't blessed enough to witness the phenomenon outside of my womb.
  I wanted to sink into a hole. I wanted to do anything I could to avoid the awkwardness and fresh wound this woman had reopened. I thought to myself "Couldn't she have checked my file? Why doesn't she know?"

"Oh..." the woman paused, her face voicing the discomfort I felt. "I don't need to see you then."

We walked to the nearest chair, and I sat down, my head in my hands as I tried to force the tears away. I could feel the prying eyes of an extremely pregnant woman, seated in front of me with her hands on her swollen belly. I was mortified at the overwhelming emotion that plagued me, my chest tightening as I struggled to put my mind anywhere but there.

***

 I know I'm not ready to carry the stressful brunt of what my job entails. But, due to financial restraints, I'm not given a choice. My doctor gave me a suggestion (after first telling me that she believed I needed more time emotionally, though it was at my discretion when I wanted to return to work). She said a good idea would be to call my work ahead of time, and tell someone I trust to spread the word around; the word that when I return to work, I'm there to focus on work. I don't want anyone asking me about what's happened. I don't want anyone offering up condolences. I'm coming back to work to offer up the facade of "moving on", not to be reminded of the gaping, bloody hole that still wounds my heart. I thought this was a brilliant idea. The one thing I know I won't be able to escape, however, are the looks.

My husband and I discussed these looks. People know what you've been through, (everyone knows) but they don't verbalize sympathies. It's a double edged sword, because you actually prefer people that don't verbalize sympathies, at least the people who aren't closest to you; but the awkwardness of the looks are searing. They simply stare at you with a face that says it all; how sorry they are for you. Your tragedy is running through their heads, whether you condone this meditation or not. We loathe these looks. They feel manipulative, especially the probing looks that follow the question "Are you okay?" as if the person is expecting to share an emotional breakthrough with you as you cry on their shoulder, with you left wondering how on earth you got through your grief without them. My husband's biggest fear in going back to work is being the recipient of looks. I don't blame him.

Don't get me wrong. I love that we as humans care about other people, and that other people's pain is our pain. I appreciate that people care about us enough to hurt for us. But...when you're living with your own pain, day after day, you don't need anyone encouraging it. To feel that is a threat to the stability you're trying so desperately to create, more for everyone else than for yourself.

I'm reminded of this pain daily.

At night, it's as I cuddle against the tiny quilt made for a preemie baby. It still swallowed Carlie's tiny, 11 ounce frame when they handed her to me. Not a night has gone by that I haven't slept clutching it tightly.

It stares me in the face as I look into the mirror, seeing my belly that still screams "baby inside!" with its swell, but instead is painfully void.

It's in the strokes of my paintbrush as I try desperately to unleash onto a canvas.

It is inescapable. It is normal, my doctor says.
"Most grief takes six months, sometimes longer depending on the person," she explained with kind eyes.

I've felt this pressure to be okay for awhile now. Everyone else seems to be moving on, right? Everyone else seems to be comforted by the fact that Carlie's in heaven. Everyone else is moving on to every day life. What's wrong with me that I can't get through a day without crying?

"It's normal," my doctor said softly, several times during our conversation today as I explained that sometimes I feel such anger that I have to leave a room and regroup; as I described that I'm not sleeping at night, that I exhaust myself completely before I even attempt to crawl into the bed. I do this to avoid the fitful tossing and turning that usually accompanies my nights. With each toss and turn, I'm given another reminder of recent events; from flashbacks of the labor, to the anxious, helpless feeling I experienced each night I felt Carlie was slipping further through my cervix. Some nights I just pray and pray, hoping for the rest God promises to His children. Eventually, it comes, but the next morning I feel exhausted.

"It's normal," I'm reminded once again, my doctor's reassurance replaying in my head.

"Jesus said, 'Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save Me from this hour? But for this purpose I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name.”  

-John 12:27-28


Wesley's painting of our little Wren :)




7 comments:

  1. Beautifully said...as usual you take my breath away. The paintings are impressive and such a wonderful memorial to my baby bird..yes you all say your freebird but from the start I have called her my baby bird so that will be her special name from me. Love you guys see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures and verses you've posted on your blog in Carlie's memory.

    This is such a good post. I think everybody you're even remotely acquaintances with needs to read it...easier said than done, I suppose.

    I hate that you have to write this post. When I pause for a moment, and my mind goes to Carlie, I'm still overwhelmed. It doesn't seem real that she's not here.

    I am SO happy she's in heaven, though. She is His beautiful creation and He is treasuring her right this very moment. I believe that with EVERYTHING in me. He is treasuring her, teaching her. She has always had a purpose - that purpose was just best filled in heaven. She must be doing something magnificent up there. I'm so excited to see what she's been doing when we get there someday. I just got this image in my heart of getting to heaven and looking for all the people I love, and then, somewhere in the search, finding Carlie...and seeing you there, beside her, snuggling with her, with a smile on your face. Oh, Ashley. One day. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad i read this; it helps to understand a little bit more about what you are feeling right now. i remember, when you were in the hospital, i would be in my daily life, teaching or cooking or walking in the park, and think "ashley is in the hospital right now while i am doing this--this isn't fair" and it isn't. its hard to understand why God allows... and i think, like everyone, i look for the words, any words, that will help you but there aren't any, words won't heal it. i hate that you have to go back to work so early--i hope that your coworkers will leave you be. i hope you keep painting and writing--i think that there is some healing in that, i think women need to get things out. your faith continues to amaze me. i'm praying for you daily, love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your journey with such eloquent wording. You're a beautiful woman and God will carry you through this. Carlie has a testimony to be shared--her life was not without purpose. I know it's going to take some time to heal and that is okay. Like your doctor said, it's normal. I just pray that the people you come in contact with are sensitive in their wording and approach. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your words and your paintings are so beautiful. i think of you and carlie often- especially anytime i see a little bird (which is Very often). i ache for you- and i don't have any words to say except that i am sorry. i wish i was a millionaire so you wouldn't have to work until you were ready. oh you don't know how many times i have wished that.

    your faith in the midst of all these things is so strong- praise God! thank you Jesus that you do not leave her alone in these sorrows. thank you that you are the Man of Sorrows. that yes there is the resurrection, but there was also the cross. thank you that you weep with ashley in these sleepless nights. that you hold her even when she cannot pray. when she is angry. when she is angry at you. thank you that you know her heart, share her pain, and that you LOVE her. Jehovah-shammah: you are There with her.

    i love you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no words...

    I love you, friend.

    Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you wrote this. I pray that your days at work can go as well as they can when your grief is still so new and fresh. I pray for compassion and grace from your coworkers. I pray for rest and peace for you.

    Keep writing, Ashley.

    ReplyDelete